Who can help with shoreline permits?

Making changes to the waterfront is a complex process and typically involves a number of permitting agencies as well as permit fees in addition to the cost of construction.  The first place to receive guidance on your proposed shoreline project will be Pierce County Planning and Land Services.

Web: Pierce County Planning and Land Services 

Physical address: 2401 South 35th Street, Tacoma, WA 

Telephone: (253) 798-7036 

Mason County's Planning Department staff will help you understand whether your proposal is feasible, and if so, what is required.  Depending on the nature of your project, permits may be required from:

  • Pierce County
  • Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife
  • US Army Corps of Engineers, depending on the type of project you are planning. 

Be aware that Cultural Resource investigations for archaeological sites may also be required. 

Show All Answers

1. Do I need to protect my shoreline from erosion?
2. What should I do with all the water draining down my slope?
3. How should I manage trees for views (and plants in general) on my shoreline?
4. Are there alternatives to bulkheads and what to alternatives, or soft shore projects, look like?
5. Who can help with shoreline permits?
6. I can't remove my bulkhead. Can I still do something to contribute to a healthy Puget Sound?
7. What is the problem with shoreline armor (aka. bulkheads)?